How are you doing with your Disney Savings Bank? If you’re like me and you’re saving up for a Magical Vacation, you might have a bit of money socked away in anticipation of your trip. You might also find that it’s too easy to spend your Disney dollars when they are lumped together with the rest of the money in your bank account! Disney has a very cool way to earmark your vacation savings with a unique program, keep reading!
If you’re just starting on the budgeting, I recommend you start with my Steps to Savings. This will help you establish a budget. CLICK the thumbnails below to read each of these Steps to Savings in regards to figuring out how much your dream vacation will really cost to finding out what your true budget is.
Naturally there are lots of dreamers and wishers out there wanting to take their family to Disney. I was so happy to stumble upon this fantastic resource on the Disney website to help you every step of the way towards making your vacation dreams come true! The wonderful thing is that this account is completely free, in fact there is a BONUS of Disney gift cards just for using this program!
Called the Disney Vacation Account, you can estimate your budget, create a plan, track your progress and book your vacation. You can even start this process 5 years in advance so you’ll have plenty of time to save up.
Here’s how it works:
- Estimate Your Budget – Choose your vacation destination. Plug in the estimated costs of resort room, tickets, food, shopping, entertainment and transportation. The system calculates the total and you’ll have your estimated vacation cost.
- Establish an Account – The system will ask you for an approximate date of your vacation and how often you’d like to contribute. At that point, you’ll receive an amount of what your weekly, bi-weekly or monthly contribution would be to reach your goal before your trip. Then the system will have you log in with your Disney User email and password (or allow you to create one if you don’t have one set up).
- Read the terms. Here are the highlights: There are no fees to use this program. There is no interest rate. You can set up your Disney Vacation Account to automatically add money into the account through your debit or credit card or you can make one time payments into your Disney Vacation Account. You can stop the program at any time and all unused funds are fully refundable. Someone else can even contribute to your Account (Grandma? *wink*).
- Track your Progress. A handy chart shows where you stand with your savings and if you need to increase your savings to meet your goal.
- Your Disney Vacation Account is eligible to receive a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Isn’t that neat!! Every Disney dollar counts and you’ll get a bit extra just by using this program.
- Book your vacation. You can book directly through the Disney website or by calling the Disney Reservations Call Center. Or simply book the trip through your travel agent and then once you have your reservation/booking number, you can call Disney at the numbers provided to establish payment through your Disney Vacation Account.
Remember if you use your Disney Visa to contribute to your Disney Vacation Account you’ll be earning a percentage back in Disney Dreams Rewards Dollars. The website explains that you cannot use Disney Dreams Reward Dollars in conjunction with your Disney Vacation Account to pay for your trip. However it recommends that you use the Reward Dollars to purchase Disney Gift Cards. I do this anyway, since Disney Gift Cards do not expire and Reward Dollars do.
Let me know in the comments if you’ve established a Disney Vacation Account and how it’s going, I’d love to hear how you are making your Disney dreams come true…dollar by dollar!
If you are new to my blog, please consider subscribing to my newsletter so you don’t miss any posts. Thanks for stopping by!